The year of 2016 has seen a lot of ups and downs for me personally. But the one bright star which shined through it all was this little munchkin. I call him baby Matthew 🙂
With that so, I think 2017 has to be even better and I think I have lots of things I need improvement on. In order for that to happen, I definitely need to start focusing on these new year resolutions.
New Year Resolutions
Every year I start a list which has a 90% chances of failing. Yes, that is right, my new years resolution. 2017 is going to be different as I am determined to at least complete more than 50% of them. I have broken them down into 4 distinct categories and hopefully, I can set realistic goals for myself.
- Painstakingly update my passwords for the many internet sites that I access without using the same password for all and to utilise 1Password to make it more secure.
- Spend less time on social media and less time looking at the phone/tablet whilst I am out with family and friends. Not an easy task this is especially since I get so distracted easily.
- Start blogging more and have at least a minimum of 1 post a week. So far my journey has been mired with inconsistencies, this time, I hope to at least improve on it, bit by bit. Of course, the upside is that I do hope that my readership would increase.
- In 2016, I read a total of 4 books. That averaged 1 book per quarter and that statistic sucked. So let’s push it a bit more in 2017 and my target is to read 8 books for the year. I just started reading “How Google Works”.
- Focus on self learning. I have Coursera and Duolingo but I have yet to fully achieve my full potential yet. I need to improve on my German language (currently 8% fluent according to Duolingo). My goal is to at least complete 3 courses on Coursera and reach a 50% fluency in German on Duolingo.
- I follow Tim Ferriss’ podcast religiously mainly because it keeps me company during my traffic-jam filled journey to work everyday. One thing I learned (I am hoping to read his latest book, Tools of Titans) is that a lot of highly driven people have one thing in common, meditation. Whether it may be meditating religiously through prayers or just calming the mind down. I will be aiming to do more of that through prayer.
- I am still obese and full of fat. I am weak to fast food and also lots of other food groups as well. I tried a lot of methods and going to the gym isn’t one of them. It just doesn’t interest me. What I do like is swimming and playing badminton. My target is to be at least fit and move away from the “obese” band altogether through swimming and badminton training.
- I can’t remember the last time I played golf. Let alone go to the driving range. I believe it is about time I started to get my swing back in action so I definitely am aiming to start heading to the driving range again. If you are in need of a friend, give me a holler! I definitely need some buddies to keep me going.
- Relationships are key and I do aim to spend a bit more time learning about family as well as my friends.
- My aim is to at least meet up with friends I have lost touch with at least a minimum of once a month. It isn’t easy these days heading out at night especially with the baby and all (we have no helpers at home). At least during the weekend I can make time to arrange for a meet-up over coffee or over a meal.
So these are all of my resolutions so far. If by any miracle, I would be able to achieve at least 60% of them. Perhaps I should also set some stretch targets for each of my resolutions as well.